Sigma 70-300mm for D60 Review



I've had this lens for well over a week now and can confidently say that it was worth every penny. One of the main selling points of getting this lens was the cheap price tag. The other selling point was of course its telephoto capabilities. Of course I did the research online before purchasing to investigate the image quality and as a consensus, most people agreed it was pretty damn good. The way I figured it was that since I don't have an arsenal of other lenses to compare it to, I probably don't have that much to complain about. I mean unless it had a huge crack down the center or if the colors were way off, I was sure I would be satisfied. And I am.

Colors are great although the image quality is a little soft, but research into the matter seems to indicate this occurs at 300mm at 5.6. The sweet spot of this lens seems to be 250 or below at about 7.1. It's not bad enough to not recommend it.

Dragonfly

The lens also has a macro mode that you can activate between 200 and 300mm. When switched on, the lens can focus on objects much closer but I find myself shooting instead in manual focus during macro situations. The autofocus just takes too long.

Since this is a 4-5.6 lens, I find myself having to bump the ISO up to about 400 to even 800 in daylight to get sharp images since I need to shoot at 1/320 or faster when not using a tripod. This is my major gripe, but hey for $250 I can live with it. Highly recommend it for a first lens or a telephoto on the cheap.

3 comments:

Curious Jane said...

Very helpful review indeed. Now I'm almost sure to get this lens as an addition to my kit lens. Thanks!=)

Anonymous said...

Hey I recently saw your post on another site regarding Tethered shooting with the D60. Help! I can't seem to get mine to work? How or did you change your USB setting to PTP? I just can't seem to get ti to run..any direction would very much help this newbie!

Thanks
Kristi

Ryan Holland said...

I didn't really have any problems with it. I installed the script and then pointed Lightroom to the default folder the script creates and then voila. What issues are you having? I didn't have to change any settings on my camera. Shoot me an email if you have anymore questions at thelastchord@aol.com.