I've Discovered The Light

Since I got my new camera I've been taking a crap load of pictures. At first I was using Adobe Bridge to organize and edit my RAW files but then remembered about Adobe Lightroom. I think I am in love. Lightroom is specifically made for the photographer, whether amateur or professional. The workflow is surprisingly simple from importing, tagging, organizing, and editing (or otherwise known in Lightroom terms as Developing). It treats files as InDesign does. All photos are linked to Lightroom and not actually moved or changed as you move and change them. All editing is non-destructible. Cropping, spot removal, straightening, color and exposure correction is not permanent even after you close the program. You can go back anytime and start from scratch or adjust your settings at a later time.

On top of this, Lightroom is capable of shooting tethered which means you can hook your camera up to you computer, take a picture, and it will automatically show up in Lightroom a few seconds later. As they import you can adjust settings to tag the photos and go into a certain folder. The photos are not stored on your camera but instead are stored directly to your hard drive. The software that comes with Canon cameras include software that makes this possible. Nikon owners like me need to buy a program called Camera Control Pro 2 ($160) or Bibble Pro ($130) which blows. I downloaded the trial version of Camera Control Pro 2 and it works like a charm. When the trial is up I am going to try this out which costs $0.

0 comments: